Definition of Families In Transition

Browning Public Schools' Families In Transition program provides support to students in homeless situations to ensure they receive the same free, appropriate public education as provided to other children and youth.

The term "family in transition" means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.

Under the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act, a child may qualify as homeless if he/she is:

  • Doubled up with relatives or friends due to loss of housing or economic hardship

  • Living in motels/hotels due to economic hardship

  • Living in an emergency shelter, domestic violence shelter or transitional housing

  • Living in cars, park, campground, abandoned buildings or other structure not meant for housing

  • Living in substandard housing (lacks electricity or running water)

  • Unaccompanied youth (not living in the physical custody of a parent or legal guardian and lacking a regular, fixed, nighttime residence)

Educational Rights for Students Experiencing Homelessness

Children and youth experiencing homelessness have the right to:

  • Immediate enrollment in school, even if the student does not have the required paperwork.

  • Continue attending the school in which they were enrolled (school of origin) when they became homeless, the last school attended, or the school closest to their temporary residence.

  • Remain in the sequence of schools with their peers when homelessness is longer than one school year.

  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before becoming homeless (school of origin).

  • Automatic enrollment for free meals at school without proof of income.

  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children or youths served in these programs.

  • Attend school with children not experiencing homelessness; segregation based on a student's status as homeless is prohibited.

  • Challenge decisions on homeless status or services made by schools and districts through a dispute/grievance procedure.

For more information, or to determine eligibility for services, please call our office at (406) 338-5025, or email us using the contact form below: